|Olives don't go over too well with the kiddos . . .|
The Salade Niçoise is one of those dishes that can vary from restaurant to restaurant. While there is no official recipe, the "authentic" salad contains neither rice, green beans, nor potatoes. In my opinion, it should only be made with anchovies and not tuna, but to each his own.
The secret to this salad is . . . there is no secret. Add as much or as little of each ingredient as you want. My girls like it with a lot of hard-boiled egg in it. The Mr. can't have enough anchovies and I love red peppers. Have fun with it (what does that even mean?) and it's even better the next day.
Salade Niçoise :
- Rice, potatoes, or 100% vegetable base (I used 2.5 rice-cooker cups of uncooked rice to last a few meals)
- Red or orange pepper, Celery (round), tomatoes,
- Hard boiled eggs, chopped or sliced
- Anchovies (I like to chop them up)
- Black olives (from Nice, or your supermarket)
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
Cook the rice.
Cook the eggs.
Chop the veg. and anything else you want chopped.
Add the anchovies.
Mix it all together with the parsley and enough olive oil to give it consistency.
Adjust the seasoning.
Serve at room temperature with a nice cold drink of your choice.
*Note: I can not, can NOT get on-board with calling olive oil EVOO. Sorry RR fans!!